• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution of Partnership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lblb

Texas. My husband and I are currently in a partnership with another party who wants out. The other party is family. They have offered two options. One involving making tax-free gifts which would be paid back at completion of paper work for the dissolution. Another states for the sum of $10.00 and other considerations. I am not sure just what that means. Which option would be better? Also what advantage would there be for the party making the tax-free gifts?

L

loku

The “gifts” would not be gifts. They would be payments for the partnership interest. As for the contract stating it is for $10 and other valuable consideration, the law would still require that the amount paid for the partnership interest be reported to the IRS.

IF there is a significant amount of money involved in this transaction, I suggest you see a local lawyer about the best way to work it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">