• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help, relocating out of state w/ my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenaw3

I am a single mom living in NJ, My daughter is almost 4 years old. Her father didn't do much the first two years of her life. I was the provider and he didn't start to pay support until she was a month shy of 2 years old.
We were never married and never lived together and when I was pregnant I moved up to NH to live with my father since my daughters father who's name is Chris was threatening me and didn't want me to have the baby. While I was visiting down here in NJ during the holidays after moving to NH I had my daughter and she was 3 months premature so being that she was in the hospital for a while I decided to stay here in NJ and not move back to NH. However if I didn't have her early then I would have been still living in NH.
Anyway, that is just a brief description, I have had 2 temporary restraining orders on my daughters father. He is emotionally abusive and a compulsive liar.
Right now I am looking to relocate out of state to Texas. However I can't because then he will press kidnapping charges. I really need all the help I can get to move out of state. My main reason is that my boyfriend is down there. He come up here for a few months after he graduated college because I wanted to make sure that he would be good with my daughter before making the move down there to Texas. I feel that I can afford a lot more things down there. I would be able to buy a condo or house as soon as I got down there since I have money saved, where as up here I'd have to continue to still save a lot more money since the cost of living is a lot more up here. My boyfriend is going to school right now for his PHD so that is why he wants to stay down there. And I also always planned on moving back down to Texas since I lived there when I was younger. Even in my H.S. year book I had written down that in my future I plan to move down there. I know that really doesn't matter. I do plan on getting married to this guy in Texas. I know my story might seem a little confusing but I can explain more. Anyway, My daughters father harrasses me and has said horrible things to me in the past, he has spit in my face, pushed me around and he has said to me on many occassions that he will make my life miserable for the rest of my life. I do tend to beleive him since that is what he is still doing and it never fails to stop. I have his parents giving me problems. They also play a big role in my not moving out of state since they are the ones that want to visit w/ my daughter more. I have a few witnesses that have seen the way my daughters father treats me, I have recording of voicemails, copies of emails saying he wishes I was dead, or he wishes I'd crash my car and be on life support so he can trip over the plug. Well those are just a few of the things he has said but he's not very stable. He has told me he was on anti-depressents or some kind of drug the doctor put him on but I think he just said that to make me feel bad. I don't believe that he was really on any type of medication for his personality.
All I really want is to be able to move out of state and get on with my life. That is all I am asking for. I don't think that it is fair considering I was never married to her father that I should have to live here. I offered for him to have her during the summers, and he would actually end up seeing her more days out of the year if that were the case and he'd be able to spend more quality time with her. I also offered to fly up here for Christmas vacation so he could visit with her during the holidays, and pay for the cost of her transporation and I also offered for him to go down and visit her anytime he wants to. I don't think it is fair in the law that I can't move out of state with my daughter. People do it all the time and I don't see why I can't do it. I would really appreciate any help I can get with these legal matters.
Please call me ASAP w/ any advice or if you can help me or know someone that can be my lawyer in this matter.

E

erev46

If there are no legal orders restricting your moving, which you haven't indicated, you are free to move with your daughter anywhere you wish.
The father can threaten all he wants but until there is a court order he has no legal remedy.
I would rent the u-haul and head for texas, before he files legal action in NJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">