• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding spouse to work insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jnjb7071

Moralistically, I know that this is wrong. But circumstances force me to at least think about doing it.

My company knows that my fiance and I are getting married soon, it was scheduled for two weeks from now. It has now been pushed back 6 months (they dont know that). We believe my fiance to be bi-polar (on two diffrent occasions a "family practice" doctor has said he blieves this the case and given her samples of two diffrent types of bi-polar medication, neithr of which have stopped the mood swings and sleeping ALL DAY LONG) and we cant afford the private insurance to see a physicatric doctor and his prescribed medications. I went to my HR and asked what is it I will need to do to add her and her daughter once we are married and they replied, fill out this form (the form asks for birth dates, names, social security number, and a HMO/PPO doctor), and give us (my HR) the active date. No proof of marriage, or marriage license, blood test or anything I said, they said no, a simple email and filling out which HMO doctor you want is all you need. (BTW: My fiance and I are prepared to cross into Nevada and do it if we have to, but would perfer to wait unti the date with all the things a wedding should have). So here is my question, I already know by even considering I am a louse. but what are the legal implications, does a insurance provider even check? Sounds like the company doesn't. When I came to this company, I also wasn't married 3 years ago, and when I added that wife (who never even changed her real last name to mine) (I've been divorced for some time now) they asked for nothing to prove it, so knowing that, and knowing that they are not going to ask now, and from someone who is living a roller coaster of a life with a bi-polar depressed human being he loves and would do anything for, some replies here would would be apperciated. I am of the impression I should just add her as my spouse and pay the 135 "family" plan with my insurance provider, knowing that soon enough she will legally be my wife. Thanks

jnjb7071

D

dorenephilpot

Basically, it appears that you're asking if it's OK to use a benefit from your employer that you are not entitled to. You won't be getting a nod from me, though others might think it's OK.

You have two honest choices to deal with her health issues: Get married quickly OR pay the bills yourselves.

D

dorenephilpot

Well, yes. Your label is apt, VeronicaGia.

However, when I answer questions, I try to answer their questions as best I can without being judgmental.

Most folks who write in aren't looking to us to pass judgment on their actions or inactions but want to know the legal ramification of those.

So, I try to stick to that only in my answers, tough as it may be sometimes.

(By the way, I have plenty of opinions about the way I think people ought to be living their lives and conducting their business, but I don't figure I'm important enough that anyone would want to hear me pontificating about Dorene's Words of Lifestyle Wisdom.)

VeronicaGia

Doren,

You said "However, when I answer questions, I try to answer their questions as best I can without being judgmental."

What is so judgemental about telling someone they are considering committing fraud? It is fraud! That's not a judgement, that's the legal term for what the poster is considering committing!

If I had said "it's called fraud, and you (the original poster) are low-life scum for considering committing this crime" I can see where you may think I was being judgemental. Or if I pointed out that fraud cost those of us honest people billions a year, that may even be considered being judgemental.

The original poster wants to commit fraud, it's plain, simple and the truth! And if that person decides to actually commit fraud, I hope they are caught and tossed in jail!

D

dorenephilpot

VeronicaGia,

Wow. Perhaps the post you read is different from the one I posted. Don't know how that happened, so perhaps rereading my post might be helpful to you.

However, if once you reread it, you still somehow see some verbiage in my post that criticizes YOUR actions or words, please read this:

I stated what I (please note the use of the word "I," not the use of the word "you") try to do, as a way of explaining to you why I chose not to use the word "fraud."

You, on the other hand, are free to use whatever words you want with impunity.

I hope YOU have a great day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">