• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name and rights of an 18 year old and arranged marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soni418

im 18 year old living in pennsylvania...i wanted to know how i could change my name and if its possible..and i would like to know is there some law that would protect me from being forced out of the country...cuz my parents r trying to force me to go to their country for an arranged marriage...as an american do i have any rights? and since im 18 i can live on my own right?

arranged marriage

Ohio-USA------In this country at the age of 18 you are considered "the age of majority" You can do as you wish without your parents approval, and, since you are a US citizen they cannnot force you to leave the country nor can they force you to marry anyone you choose not to. If this is truly the case (insisting you move out of the country and marry someone you choose not to) I suggest you get a job, get your own place, and get on with YOUR life as YOU choose to. You should also get an attorney to consult with just in case you might need some sort of protection. If $$$ is a problem for this, check with a college law school to see if a student couldn't enlighten you, or, legal-aid. I'm not an attorney but I do know that what they are trying to do is not legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">