• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

video tapes in police cars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

william99

i wanted to know how long a city police department had to keep a video tape of a traffic stop after it happened in the state of georgia, or if there is even a time frame. i havent went to court yet, and i think they will "loose" or not have the tape. im not even sure if they are admitting having one yet, but i do know they had it on at the time of the stop because i heard him tell another officer to turn it off. a minimum amount of months or something like that? its only been about 6 weeks since the incident.

do they have to fill up these tapes and then hold them for so long? can they remove them from the vehicles and replace them at will? how does this work?

C

CA Counsel

I'm not from Georgia but why do you want the tape? Were you arrested? Are you awaiting trial? How would the tape help you?

If the police wanted to lose it, they may have done so already. And budget strapped police departments always reuse tapes. So you may want to have your lawyer issue a subpoena for the tapes NOW, and if they didn't present them the jury could assume your version is correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">