• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a business License?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vertigo82_98

I wrote software in visual basic for a client, and he decided to pay me for it. I had to make up a business name so the billing department could log a company name in their billing records. The check was made out to me, with the company name I made up below my name. Do I need a business license to cash the check?

HomeGuru

Ask your State biz reg office with respect to business license requirements.
As far as cashing the check, the bank would make the call. If the check was made payable to you or the company, you would be able to cash it. If the check was made payable to you and the company, the bank may require a checking account set up in the name of the company or a review of the business registration papers indicating there is a legal company by that name and that you are the authorized owner/signer. The bank may even require proof of a Federal ID # or EIN.

Last edited:
V

vertigo82_98

Pay to the order of...

I spoke with the individual I will be doing business with, and it appears as though the check will read "pay to the order of : <My Name>", with the company name I create on the next line. There will be no 'or' or 'and'. Will this be considered an implied 'or' ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">