• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Order Concerning Insanity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hegemon

I have a friend who is seriously whacked out of his mind on a variety of mind-altering drugs and is a certified manic-depressive. He is 19, has no immediate family, and is currently a danger to himself and his friends. When I confronted him with this, he hit me and smashed the windshield of my car. If worse comes to worse, I will press charges if absolutely necessary, but am currently wondering if there is any way for me to obtain a court order for his containment on the basis of his mental instability and the threat he therefore poses. Suggestions? Any help would be welcome.

H

Hairball

Man, you made a mistake by NOT contacting the authorities. That is the ONLY way you can help your friend. When you call the coppers, they show up and evaluate the situation. If they believe, from what you have told them and from what they surmise that, your friend is a mental case, they can place him in what's called a 72 hour psychartric hold. He'd be held in the mental ward of the local hospital while he is evaluated by a shrink. If drugs are found to be the cause of his problems they can assist him from there.

Unfortunately too many people do nothing thinking they are "helping" by not getting involved. The best thing to do is give your friend a proverbial "cold water in the face" by reporting him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">