• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-spouse retirement account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluez956

Greetings from California!
I have been attempting to have my settlement agreement with my ex-spouse completed in it's entirety. The final matter in question is a STRS account that needs to be divided per our Dissolution Final Judgement. I have been in contact with STRS several times in the past 6 months. I have sent them complete copies of the Judgement on 2 separate occasions at their request. However it has been nearly 8 weeks since I have heard from them regarding this matter. I have sent them a few e-mails in the past month trying to get any updated information in regards to the account but have not received any responses. I know the money isn't going anywhere, and I know that it's being taken care of by the STRS legal department, but just the same I would appreciate some response/any response to my periodic inquiries. Does anyone know typically how long it takes before
a STRS matter of this nature is resolved?

D

dorenephilpot

Generally, a retirement account is divided via a Qualified Domestic Relations Order, not merely a written request showing that the court ordered it and asking pretty please for the money.

You have some statutes of limitations issues to deal with here, too.

You can have an accountant or lawyer draw up the papers for you, but I would suggest you be proactive and prompt.

B

bluez956

Thanks for the response.
I have already contacted STRS and have received some prior instructions from them. In particular they wanted a complete copy
of the Final Judgement. I do not see why they would be asking for court documents with the intention of not following through
with the division of the account. Once divided, does my portion stay in their system in a separate account with my name on it,
or does it become my sole property to do with as I please?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">