• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Palimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confusedinVA

The only promise that was made was of marriage, and that was verbal, the only proof of this is half the town, a one carat diamond and a signed reciept..the fact that I was told by him that I didn't have to work if i didn't want to, doesn't help me now because 5 years and no work hasn't helped me save anything, for this very rainy day. ( Foolish on my part)
But he has gained alot because I redecorated his house, was the role of wife, nursed him when he was ill. and beautifully landscaped his yard, entertained his friends. Ladies protect your selves.....Confused in Virginia

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

confusedinVA said:
The only promise that was made was of marriage, and that was verbal, the only proof of this is half the town, a one carat diamond and a signed reciept..the fact that I was told by him that I didn't have to work if i didn't want to, doesn't help me now because 5 years and no work hasn't helped me save anything, for this very rainy day. ( Foolish on my part)
But he has gained alot because I redecorated his house, was the role of wife, nursed him when he was ill. and beautifully landscaped his yard, entertained his friends. Ladies protect your selves.....Confused in Virginia

My response:

Call a Family Law attorney and discuss the viability of "Palimony" in your State. Let's assume, for now, that Palimony is recognized in Virginia. Do you have the funds to hire an attorney who can prosecute a Breach of Contract action on your behalf? It's not going to be easy, or fast, or cheap.

Remember, an action for Palimony is a contract action, based upon, at least, an "implied" promise to care of your everyday necessities of life, and presumably for the rest of your life. Since you didn't work for those 5 years, and took care of the household while he worked, there may, in fact, be an implied promise.

Insofar as the promise of marriage is concerned, including the ring, while there is no "Breach of Promise" to marry in Virginia, the existence of those evidentiary facts might, however, weigh heavily for you as proof of an implied promise to take care of you, or breach of contract; i.e., Palimony.

Call a local Family law attorney, give it a whirl, and then let us know what the attorney says.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">