• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce: About the Tax Relief refund...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RMW

I have a question and I hope that you can help. My divorce was finale as of May 2001. The divorce papers read "IT IS FURTHER ORDERED AND ADJUDGED that the Plaintiff (me) be and she is hereby awarded as her sole and separate property the State of Michigan and United States Federal tax refunds for the year 2000. I am woundering if the Tax Relief return would be considered part of 2000 Tax Refunds? I have the check and my ex-husband feels that it isn't part of the 2000 tax returns so he refuses to sign it. Is this something you think I could take to small claims court? I sure would appreciate your reply, no matter what it would be. I just want to make this right even if it means that I do have to split it.

G

Grandma B

The tax relief refunds recently distributed are not for the tax year 2000. They are "advance" refunds for tax year 2001.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">