• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

difficulties with private school and public money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ekorzan

My son began a private college this September in New York State.
He is funding this with a Sallie Mae Loan. He ran into a difficult situation in a dorm and was expelled by the school. It was an awkward situation in which
he was insubordinate to a student dorm monitor. The school never called
me, his mother, or gave him any right to appeal. He had one prior offense in that he was cited for being in a dorm room in which another student was
drinking a beer.
Anyway the school is saying that he is liable for the entire semester.
This expulsion occurred only one month into the semester, October 4,2001.
I spoke to the financial aid officer and she said that we have to pay for the
entire semester and I asked her to send the information she was using for this. She never did. I found the catalog and dorm rules in which I
am due a discounted refund. I want this money sent back to the Loan
originators. Do I have to sue the college? What about due process for my son as he was more or less rail roaded and scapedgoated? :confused:

D

dorenephilpot

The financial problem: First, send a registered letter to the financial aid folks at the college and explain the facts and circumstances, quote them their own handbook and hope for a good resolution.

Often that will do the trick. If not, there are more severe steps to take. But try this one first to take care of the financial problem.

The disciplinary problem: As far as the situation with the punishment, you'll need to find out whether he was given proper notice and a hearing and an opportunity to explain his side of things. If he wasn't, then that probably violates a provision or two of the school's handbook. This would give you a basis for legal action.

(As far as the school notifying you, if your child is age 18 or older, then he's considered an adult for purposes of notification, and the school is probably not bound to inform you of his disciplinary problems, unless they have some odd rules in their handbook, unlike in high school, when he was a minor and you would have been informed of any serious misdeeds.)

Hope this helps answer your questions/concerns.

D

dst

The Principle Here...

The above reply is accurate enough. Your best course of action is to tell the school that they are not following their own procedures. You have a contact with the school. The school has to follow its own rules and procedures. If it does not you have a legitimate complaint. So contacting the school is a first step. Unless the clock is ticking for some reason, don't be in a rush to sure. Work your way up the chain of command. Call the college president; it's part of their job to deal with parents who are angry about the college's flubs.

DT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">