• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife Arrested for Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused

My wife was arrested for shoplifting (a $7 clothing item at a discount store, that she didn’t need). Since we didn't know what to do, she pleaded not guilty at the arraignment. I understand that normally the judge would impose a $500 fine and 10 days in jail with 9 suspended if she would have pleaded guilty. Now I guess she will have to get an attorney. Is there anything an attorney can do or will we just be spending money for representation and more than likely she will be found guilty anyway. This is so out of the ordinary for her to do something like this. We have been under a lot of stress this year because of some other personal problems.

M

Marcia M

First, she did the right thing to plead not guilty. She can always change her plea to guilty but not the other way.

Second, I'd have to know the facts and assess the evidence against her and her ablity to be believed, and all sorts of stuff.

That's what a lawyer can do, aasess Whether it makes sense to fight it depends on whether the search was lawful, who the judge is, whether the DA wwil accept a pleas bargain and the consequences in he life and carrer of being found guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">