• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is she her father's keeper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hksunshine

This may be a constitutional case but it pertains to a parking violation
First the facts:
In September, while visiting my daugther at her school, one of the State Universities of New York, I received a parking ticket. In accord with school policy I appealed the ticket and subsequently won my appeal so that is not at issue.
In the interim they contacted our daugther who is not in any way connected to this incident or vehicle (which is registered to my wife) and told her that until the ticket was paid they would not allow her to register and she may lose her on campus parking privledges.
I did not, and do not think this is proper, she is not liable for our infractions (even if we were guilty) and I strongly objected to these bullying tactics. My thought was if someone in her family committed this infractin she cannot be held liable as she is in no way culpable.
Their contention is that they have the right to develop their own parking rules which they did allowing them to hold students liable for the parking violation of a fmaily member. This just doesn't sit well with us. As a consumer advocate I feel it is my duty to fight this.
Now here's the question. I know that rules made contrary to law are not legal but I'm not sure on what law to base my argument. I remember the one thing my professor in the one law degree told us to remember and that is prudence if the law is not prudent it can't be legal. But I cannot find an appropriate law to quote in my correspondence.
Is this situation covered in NYS statue or Contstituional law or am I wrong on this? If it is please advise what state, contstuional, or case law I can refer to.

JETX

Another quote from 'The Old Professor':
"Before you build up your 'head of steam', you need to make sure you are on the right track."

You need to read ALL the documents that your daughter agreed to when she enrolled, including the 'Student Handbook' or Policy. There may very well be an 'acceptance' of this rule that you are trying to fight. If so, you may be DOA, unless you can challenge that acceptance.

H

hksunshine

Point is moot

Thanks for prompt response and in fact no such acceptance was signed..but even if it was, if, as we suspect, the rule is illegal such an acceptance would be moot. We agree with your quote, "Before you build up your 'head of steam', you need to make sure you are on the right track."

What we still need is the state, constutional, or case law to quote. If anyone out there knows the appropriate law..you'd save us a lot of research.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">