• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to move legally out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confusedinNC

I live in NC and have filed for divorce in June. We have a 2 yr. old daughter. We do not have anything signed and does not look close to being signed. He has already moved in state about 2 hours away. I am looking to move to NJ to be closer to my family. I have no family or support in the area. Do I need to file any papers in NC before I move or do I have to wait for the divorce to be final?

G

Grandma B

Have your attorney file the request now and it can be ruled on during the dissolution proceedings.

C

confusedinNC

Thanks for your reply but.. I do not currently have an attorney. After my retainer was used and I did not feel anything was in motion to a resolution, my attorney withdrew until further payment. I also told my "husband" I was not getting another attorney until he agree to pay for it, since he was the one that had the affair and left. When my husband moved 2 hours away he was advise not to tell me. I found out from his new employer that called looking for him. Back to my question that I need to reword. What do I need to do to move? Can I file anything myself or do I need a lawyer? If so, can I hire an attorney for this specific need.

jenaw3

You can file papers in the courts yourself. It is better to have a lawyer.
Be sure not to move w/out permission because then he can charge you w/ kidnapping. I am going through the same situation but I was never married and he's a dead beat and I want to move from NJ to TX. You have to have good proof of why the move would benefit the child and the judge will decide on the best interest of the child.
Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">