• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Melinda

A warrant was issued in May of 1993 for issuance of a bad check. How long is this arrest warrent good for? Can i still pay the company for the bad check with out them having me arrested?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Melinda, the answer to your question is really state specific. You should find a criminal defense attorney in your state (see this web site) and consult with him or her. If the law of your state provides that after the expiration of the statute of limitations (say 5 years) has elapsed, then the charges are automatically dropped, you have nothing to worry about. But I do not know what your state's laws are about this matter. Next, you have to realize that even though you could theoretically pay back the company, that does not necessarily make the arrest warrant and charges dissappear. Your state may require that the defrauded company apply to the prosecutor for the charges to be dropped. Or the state law may give discretion to the prosecutor whether to drop the charges, assuming he could prove his case without the help of the defrauded party. Best luck to you.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">