• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phone harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angela Jones

My sister's soon to be ex-husband is harrassing me via telephone. My sister lives just around the corner from me and does not have a telephone. She does work and can recieve limited personal phone calls at work, yet this man continually calls my house looking for my sister. It is driving me crazy.

I keep telling him that she doesn't live with me, to call her at work if its an emergency, to contact her lawyer or have his lawyer contact her lawyer, etc. But he still keeps calling.

I get anywhere from 5 to 10 calls weekly ranging from 6:00 am to as late as 9:00 - 10:00 pm. Everytime he calls, he asks for her then starts trying to tell me something bad he found about her and then I hang up on him. He'll wait an hour or so before he calls back but he always calls back.

As she doesn't have a phone and he has been to contact me if there is an emergency with the children when he has them - he will make things up about the kids just to call me and try to find out where my sister is.

I live in Mississippi. Is there anything I can do about this besides change my phone number. I have had this phone number for over 23 years?

I plan on calling the phone company and see if I can get a copy of all my incoming phone calls over the last 30 days. If I get this will it prove harrassment and is this a crime? What to do? Please advise.

Thank you.

J

Joseph Jacobs

Depending on your state's law it probably is a crime. But the DA prosecutes killers and violent crimes first, and getting the DA to take a case like this may be hard. You could ask for a protective order, perhaps, to stop the calls, aprticularly if they're threatening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">