• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 YR OLD SON SERVING LIFE IN PRISON/ SELF DEFENSE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vicki

In 1993 my son Kevin wascharged,tried and convicted in a North Carolina court of first degree murder under the felony murder rule. He has served 6 years and 4 months of a life + 20 year sentence.Although evidence proved he acted in self defense, the judge did not allow the jury to consider self defense in rendering their verdict.He was represented by Public Defender and his appeal was denied. I need to know about the possiblity of a sentence reduction or any other way to help him. Any advice is greatly appreciated.Thank you. Kevin's Mother

H

Hairball

I really don't know of any legal right the judge would have in telling the jury what they can or cannot find in a case. The jury is there to decide based on what evidence that id provided. And NEVER EVER trust a Public Defender! In a case such as this, it would be far better to have a paid lawyer.

Don't stop trying to appeal. You will always have that right.

H

Harley

vicky, I feel for you I am in some what of the same situation. My older brother was charged for aggravated murder in Oregon.
He now is serving life + 10 years(30 years).
It has been 10 years already, and the pain never leaves you. You hurt for them, you want to help but the resorces to help a limited. He was also represented by a court appointed attorney (who basicly sent up-river). At this point my familys struggle with the system has shifted gears. Now they have denied visitation for my parents. And have moved him to the other side of the state. The fight never ends the hardest part is watching my 51 year old father cry. I wish I could help!!!!! The only help that I can give to your question is emotional support. If you would like to talk my E-mail addres is [email protected]. May there is more that we can do for each other!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">