• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New indictments brought up against a person already serving time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Roberta

I really need to know if there is any time limit on new indictments being brought up on someone currently serving time. I live in Oregon. My husband has been incarcarated since March 99, for several different charges. The problem is, everytime he gets remotly close to his release date, they find more charges to file on him from before he was incarcarated. He just got indicted again last week, 8 months after he's been serving time, for an incident they alleged happened last December. Can they keep doing this? It just doesn't seem fair that they keep finding ways to add on more time every time he gets withing two months of his latest release date. We can't afford to hire a lawyer, but his Public Defender has so far only seemed to make things worse. His plea date is only 2 days away, and he hasn't even got to discuss this with the Public Defender. He's afraid of pleading not guilty and getting stuck with all three new charges, when they've offered to only charge him with one (which carries a maximum of 10years). Is there anything we can do???

J

juanitag

You need to talk to your public defender -- try and get a live body to take your call at his/her office and find out when is a good time for you to speak to him/her. As to your other question about the time limit for bringing charges ... every crime has a statute of limitations (the length of time after a crime has been committed the state can charge you with it) which depends on the crime and the state. For example, murder typically has no statute of limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">