• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tape recording conversations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angela Jones

Here's my question. Is it legal or not for one person to record a conversation with another person over the telephone or in their home without advising that person that the conversation is being recorded and/or getting that person's permission?

My sister is getting divorced and her soon to be ex-husband (hopefully) told me tonight that he had recorded conversations he has has with me, my husband, and my sister (his wife) while on the telephone and in my home.
He has filed for custody of their children (2) and he says these recordings will be used in court against my sister.

Though I am not worried about anything that I or my husband may have said to him, because our interest in this matter between them has been to protect the children from their fighting, screaming & hollering, name calling, etc. And I have not had any conversations with him that I believe would jeopardize her getting custody of their children (they currently live with her now and have since the seperation).

Can he do this? If not, is this a criminal or civil matter? If criminal, to whom to I report this to - state or federal?

Please advise if you can. Thanks.

S

SAME SITUATION

AS LONG AS THE PERSON WHO IS RECORDING THIS INFORMATION IS ON THE TAPE SORRY HONEY ITS ALL LEGAL

B

busted

that's not true same sit. in some states both (or all) parties have to be aware of a taped conversation for it to be admissable. so it depends on the state in which you live. watch more law & order buddy.

A

Angela Jones

Thanks to "Same Situation" and "Busted" for your replies. I am still trying to find out what the Mississippi state law says about this subject. I was able to find some information regarding the Federal law on this matter, but this also indicates that some states may have a different law. Do you know if State laws supersede Federal laws?

Thanks again for resonding.

J

juanitag

Usually in criminal matters the state law applies, but it all depends where the crime took place. For example, on a military base the federal criminal laws supersede the state ones. Find out what MS law says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">