• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University Discrimination Please Advise~

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

h20mobius

The Situation:

I am currently entering my third year as an undergrad student at the University of Oregon. I am a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, a Greek fraternity on campus. In 1999, our chapter returned to campus after our alumni revoked our charter in 1997 for debt, among other reasons. The University DID NOT kick us off. Upon returning to campus, we agreed (per written document) to be a dry house, meaning there would be no alcoholic substances in our house. We agreed to this stipulation, because the University INSISTED the entire Greek community would be dry in less than 8 months, as a part of the “Select 2000” program. The program, however, failed miserably, and in the ruins of a seemingly decent proposition, the campus was left with 4 dry houses and 8 wet ones. They did not uphold their end of the agreement and they have no statement of resolution so far. Here’s where the problem lies. The University President, Dave Frohnmayer, would like to see the entire Greek system go dry relatively soon, but until then, we’re forced to be the victim of their inability to uphold their “Select 2000” program.

Comparing Traits:
Consequently, as a dry house, if we are found in violation of the “dry house policy” they insist our chapter will be kicked off campus immediately. On the same token, however, the other wet houses are permitted to send numerous students each term, to the hospital, with alcohol poisoning. There are girls and guys sick from such poisoning, puking on their lawns on a nightly basis. Furthermore, some of the wet houses are avid cocaine, marijuana, and ecstasy users. I’m proud to say that we do not allow, support, or permit the use of any of the aforementioned narcotics in house. The wet houses are grounds for sometimes over 100 MIP’s (Minor In Possession of Alcohol) to be handed out each term. Inarguably, there is no way to justify certain aspects of being a wet house. The fact that we lack the negative stereotypes associated with most fraternities, is an incredibly marketable aspect to potential members, however, it is KILLING our recruitment. The university cannot say that we have to be dry, and others can be wet. Being a dry house also promotes drunk driving. If students cannot drink in a “managed environment”, they are forced to drink off property, often encouraging them to drive after they have been drinking. We need resolution and we need a remedy immediately.

Our Demand:
Hold us to the same playing field as you hold other houses. Set a standard and apply equal consequences across the board. Take immediate action and determine when such standards will take place. Enforce the new standards in full, within 1 year. We are being discriminated against.

Fraternity Website:
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~sae

D

dorenephilpot

A school can choose to arbitrarily enforce its regulations, meaning it can choose to punish one offender but not another. Is it fair? No. Is it legal? Yes.

However, it cannot legally punish an offender in violation of its own handbook.

(Besides, as a practical matter, I doubt you'd get a lot of sympathy for your plight. "Hey, it's no fair. We can't drink, and the rest of the campus can!")

The problem is that your organization got "caught."

Although you didn't ask, I think these "dry" policies are a crock. College is a way for kids to explore their limits -- not only academically but socially.

No, I'm not an advocate of people drinking themselves into oblivion, but I AM an advocate of letting people make their own mistakes and learn from them.

Unfortunately, we cannot legislate everything. Nor should we.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">