• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Annmarie.P

i reside in Texas, am unwed and pregnant. the babys father and i are unlikely to marry. my first child has his fathers last name and being that he is 14, it seems unlikely he will ever be adopted should i marry. to keep things simpler i have opted to give the baby my last name (maiden name).
the babys father has threatened to wait till the delivery, and i am "drugged up" to manipulate the birth certificate to show his last name. he seems adament about this and i dont know what my rights are. i thought the birth mother had the final say. in my opinion, if he is so adament about this then he should have no problem signing an acknowledgement of paternity at the same time he signs the birth certificate, and can i make that a stipulation to signing anything? please help. thank you.
scared in texas.

I live in N.J. when it came to hospital records they all seemed to be only concerned about the mother info nohting really about the father. Most times you can fill out most of the papers before you are even admitted birth certificate(minus the baby's first name) etc. Fill out the paper work before hand let them know that there might be a problem with the father and no paper work should be submitted by anyone else but you. As for his last name whether the child has his last name or not unless you persue support or he persues visits which at that point the court will order suppport, that is the only way support will be activated. I choose to give my maiden name to my daughter since he made it very clear there will be no marriage, much easier for the child and you having the same last name. Don't be intimidated you have every legal right to name the child your maiden name and the courts are less likely to force his name since there is no marraige pending. Don't let anyone badger you into "his last name" use yours .......

A

Annmarie.P

Birth certificate question

Thank you, I think I am breathing again. Sounds like this could get ugly and good to know there will be people who are on my side.
Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">