• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

*Last Name Change?*

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashlee1443

North Carolina

My son will be two years old January 27th of this year (2001). His father and I are not married, my son carries my last name. His father's name is not on the birth certificate, because he was not present at his birth, however, he does pay court-ordered child support, and has signed an affadavit of parentage. I was wondering what procedures would be necessary to have my son's last name changed to his father's? Is it an expensive or lengthy process?

Secondly, with having stated the above, how could I have Dylan's fathers name added to his birth certificate? Does his father have to request it? I have called Raleigh and requested it to be done,through the birth certificate department, but it has not been added,and that was many months ago. Please inform me on that also, if at all possibe. Thank you for you time and interest.

S

scumcoast

Take your court order with you to the local vital statistics office and submit them to add the father to the birth certificate and ask them if you can change childs last name based on the order. If not take it back to court to request the name change and take it back again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">