• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ball & Chain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Big Mac

I'm a 28 year-old professional in northern California. 2-1/2 years ago I was convicted of DUI. I have now found myself in a bit of a dilema. I must serve four days in jail, however I have surrendered myself twice now in the last two months according to my surrender date & have been turned away because the jail was too full. Since my DUI I have moved out of the county & must travel 1-1/2 hours to the detention facility, which is a pain but tolerable.
However, I have recently been offered an excellent job opportunity in southern California which I'm supposed to start at the begining of December; But my next surrender date is December 7th. So now I must delay starting my new job for two more weeks. My next concern is that if they don't take me in on the 7th, I'm then looking at an 800 mile trip a month later on the hope that they let me in.
I'm trying to take care of this matter & get on with my life. Now it's hindering me in my efforts to advance my career. This seems to me to be a violation of my civil rights & my pursuit of a better life.
What can I do to expedite this situation?

Additional info:
-original sentence, 2 days jail & $1,400 fine
-converted jail & fine into 8 days work release program
-failed program after serving 6 of 8 days
-violation of probation, add 2 more days jail

Can I use my six days to count as my jail time?
Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

S

skeptical

Sounds like you are in a bind but it seems one of your own making. The courts gave you a choice early on -- little jail time plus big money fine you opted for work release and failed that chance and now face 4 days in the slammer. I don't know what else to tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">