• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name on a Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dncl_98

Question

My girlfriend became pregnant and had what I believed to be my son. After his birth he showed no resemblance to me. I confronted her and she admitted that he was not my son. At the time of his birth I was out of state and when she delivered him she gave him my last name without my permission. Is that legal? Secondly, I would like to have him taken out of my last name what do I need to to to accomplish this?

D

dorenephilpot

She can name the baby whatever she wants, as long as your last name is not trademarked.

Just because the child has your last name, that does not confer any responsibilities or rights to you.

Let it go and move on w/your life -- and I hope you're thankful for it not being one with her....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">