• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit and run accident, then a crazy car chase.what should i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

richard

hello, i was involved in a hit and run accident last night in downtown dallas.a truck ran a red light and struck me in the middle of an intersection.he backed out and proceeded to take off, so i made a UTURN and went after him.I had to chase him quite a ways.I finally got his license plate.I figured he was drunk and didnt want to have a report made.I called the operator on a cellular phone and i asked her to trasfer me to whoever i needed to talk to about a hit and run.I talked to someone but they said all i could do is just keep the license plate for my insurance, because i had left the scene of the accident.So I still pursued him (at high speeds) and i chased him into an unknown neighborhood.After that, i found him hiding in between cars and his truck was parked in somebody's lawn.I jumped out of my car, jumped into his truck and tried to find the keys so i could take them.they werent there so i searched his glovebox for insurance information.Nothing was in there.SO i got out of the truck, and the man came running towards us.I thought he had a gun and was on his property now, but i was furious and outraged.My friend handed me a baseball bat i had in my car and i began to smash his window and taillight.He took off, and i have not seen him since.I have reported my accident to the police in a report, and am noticing my insurance tomorrow (monday).
what is the best decision to make?can he sue me for smashing his car, even though he failed to stop?it was a new truck and i assume he did have insurance.i think he was drunk and tried to ditch the scene.i know what i did wasnt right and i realize that now that i have calmed down.What can/should i do?i doubt he has filed a police report, and even if he did, it would be faulty because it wouldnt be truthful.I did not put that i smashed up his car with an aluminum baseball bat in my reports.Should i deny the smashing?can he prove i did it?what if i saw beer bottles open in his backseat?

thanks to anyone who replys.

richard
i live in texas

S

skeptical

If you are asked if you smashed his car you should tell the truth. It seems to me that you did a very dangerous thing by trying to take the law into your own hands. When in an accident you should stop, call your insurance agent and/or the police. You're lucky you didn't get into a second car accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">