• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Polygraph or not to Polygraph

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reggae

Recently a laptop was stolen from my company. I was in the building the weekend that the laptop was stolen (as were several other people) and have been accoused by the police of stealing it. They want me to take a polygraph, threatening to search my home if I do not. Can they do this? Should I submit to the polygraph? Help!

J

juanitag

As far as I know, no state can require that you take a polygraph test especially since the results are unreliable and not necessarily admissible in court. As for wearching your house, if they have enough probable cause to issue a search warrant for your house there is no way you can stop that without an attorney's help. Of course they can search your house if you give them permission. I suggest you hire a criminal defense attorney in the very near future; there are names at this website as a starting point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">