• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taped Minutes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Union Secretary

I have been Secretary of our Local Union for the last 6 years here in Washington State. I have recorded the general membership meetings all along to help me with the written official minutes. The recording was done with the membership's knowledge and approval. Our Union is a non-profit organization. I keep the tapes about 1 year then tape over them. I own the recording equipment and have not been re-imbursed for the tapes ever. Recently statements were made by the Local's President that certain members were not entitled to representation, they were caught on tape. A Unfair Labor Practice and Legal Action were taken against the Union, and I was asked to turn over the tapes to the Executive Board for destruction. Am I subject to criminal action if I allow these tapes to be destroyed? Are the contents (meeting information) of these tapes property of the Union? I want to know what is the proper thing to do with these tapes.

J

juanitag

Does your union have counsel on retainer? I don't know anything about labor law and your question squarely falls under that topic. I would be nervous about destroying anything that could be used as evidence in any official proceeding. If you do not have access to union counsel then I would approach a lawyer in WA familiar with labor law and ask him/her his advice and give him/her the tapes for his safekeeping until this suit is resolved. This website has the names of attorneys you might wish to consult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">