• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cultivating Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

other_pam

My parents had a tiny grow operation in the shed off of their house (for personal use) and were busted by the police. Dad was charged with cultivation and mom with possession. (first time offence for both parents)... They are currently entering into plea bargaining with the prosecutor. They have offered the following deal: drop the charges against my mom if my dad pleads guilty to cultivation. Terms as follows: $2000 fine, 6 months probation, 10 year firearm stipulation in which my dad cannot possess a firearm. The problem is that my dad is a hunter and has locked, licensed rifles in the house. He is considering pleading to a higher charge which does not have the firearm stipulation.

My questions are: is a firearm stipulation normal in a plea for small marijuana cultivation? what would a higher charge be and why would it not have a firearm stipulation? what should a 'typical' plea for this type of offence be?

Thank you.

S

skeptical

Your parents should have retained a criminal defense attorney in this matter; these are questions they should ask him/her. A local attorney would have the best idea of what the typical charging policies are of the local DA. By the way there is no such thing as a "personal use" exemption for drug crimes.

O

other_pam

My parents did retain a criminal defence attorney and have been in contact with him throughout this entire process. They requested that I try to find additional information on the web, which was my intent of the email. I realize that there is no personal use exemption for drug crimes, my question was not related to that. They clearly broke the law and are guilty however I find that the 10 year firearm stipulation is excessive.

O

other_pam

My parents did retain a criminal defence attorney and have been in contact with him throughout this entire process. They requested that I try to find additional information on the web, which was my intent of the email. I realize that there is no personal use exemption for drug crimes, my question was not related to that. They clearly broke the law and are guilty however I find that the 10 year firearm stipulation is excessive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">