• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract between general and sub-contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thebeev62

I am masonry sub-contractor in Maryland, was working on million dollar new home where there were several masonry contractors doing different phases of project. I was responsible for 95% of Bluestone work on porches and decks, and was 75% or more finished. Another sub had a small section of bluestone to install and used a completely technic of installation. The general came to me and stated that I had to make my work look like the other subs finished product or not to do any more work and leave the job. I had the Bluestone supplier come out and inspect my work, and his statement was that my work met or exceeded industry standards, and that the other sub was actually working way above industry standards. My contract price was for $20,500.00 and was paid $11,000.00 at the startof project.
I used the start-up money to pay my payroll. I still owe approx. $7,000.00 to suppliers, and all profit I was to be paid. What can I do. Is this Breach of contract on General?

HomeGuru

Where are the contract docs such as the plans and specifications? The project specs is your bible. Call the project architect and have him/her inspect the job.

T

thebeev62

thebeev62 said:
I am masonry sub-contractor in Maryland, was working on million dollar new home where there were several masonry contractors doing different phases of project. I was responsible for 95% of Bluestone work on porches and decks, and was 75% or more finished. Another sub had a small section of bluestone to install and used a completely technic of installation. The general came to me and stated that I had to make my work look like the other subs finished product or not to do any more work and leave the job. I had the Bluestone supplier come out and inspect my work, and his statement was that my work met or exceeded industry standards, and that the other sub was actually working way above industry standards. My contract price was for $20,500.00 and was paid $11,000.00 at the startof project.
I used the start-up money to pay my payroll. I still owe approx. $7,000.00 to suppliers, and all profit I was to be paid. What can I do. Is this Breach of contract on General?
homeguru, thanks for responding. There are no specs. on bluestone in plans, only input from builder on layout was that it was supposed to be placed in a random pattern.

HomeGuru

Then your contract docs were poor. Every job should have both plans and specs. Specs could conform to CSI/AIA or other.
Even if you have to put your own specs in your contract between sub and general, you should do so. Specs could follow CSI format or simply the specs from the supplier, manufacturer or Association.

In your specific case, since there are no specs it could be presumed that the work should have been completed in accordance with industry standards. That is where the project architect comes in.

Keep us posted.

T

thebeev62

Homeguru

What should be my next move?
Thank you very much for your time.

HomeGuru

Call the project architect and have him/her certify that the installation conforms to industry standards. Make sure you have same in writing from the supplier.
Once you get the support docs, write to the builder with explanation that the work was completed in accordance with industry standards as evidenced and demand that the payment be made to you for the work done pursuant to the contract.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">