• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Stolen"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hbp

I had left my camera at with her earlier this year. Recently, I had a fall out with a "friend". We no longer speak. During one of our last conversations, she repeatedly hung up on me as I was speaking (refusing to hear anything I had said). Later that evening, she came to my house, cell phone in hand, she repeatedly called my house & rang the doorbell. I picked up the phone to find her yelling at me on the phone. Giving her a taste of her own medicine, I hung up on her. I admit, it was juvenile as it was. However, I was on the phone with my father's insurance company since his car was struck by a driver who fled the scene earlier that day. I didn't have time for her "crank" calls.

Later, I found a note in my mailbox, stating "Well, I guess you don't want your camera back... so I guess it's MINE."

I sent her a certified, return-receipt letter stating that I would like her to return my camera & to notify me when & where she can drop it off. I gave her the option to mail it back o me. When she received the letter, she left me a sarcastic voice mail stating that she was planning on leaving it in the foyer of my building, did not state WHEN, but added that even if she leaves it there & I never get it, I will accuse her of stealing it. She also made it a point to add that never I am never to contact her again & that she was moving.

I have no problem with that... I just want MY property back.

A few days later, with no sign of my camera, I tried calling her back (which I had refrained from making any additional contact with her) telling her that she did not inform me (as my letter had stated) when she will be returning my camera. She was screening calls & hung up on me as I spoke.

Is there anything I can do? I have the letter she wrote & the voice mail she left still saved.

J

juanitag

File a claim in small claims court demanding that she return the camera and use the letter and voice mail as evidence in that proceeding. To learn more about small claims court read the section on the home page of this website.

[This message has been edited by juanitag (edited November 24, 1999).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">