• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing mistress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jim40

I have friend who is going though a divorce in California. Her soon to be exhusband met a lady on the internet in Arizona. He met her and was bragging about how much money this home wrecker has (he falls in the same category). She discovered her by an email he forgot to delete. Now for the question. Can my friend sue this rich lady for distroying their 30 year marriage? Isn't there some kind of court ruling in the past that says a spouse can sue the person responsible for destroying her marriage? Any advice will helpful. Thank you.

LegalBeagle

jim40 said:
I have friend who is going though a divorce in California. Her soon to be exhusband met a lady on the internet in Arizona. He met her and was bragging about how much money this home wrecker has (he falls in the same category). She discovered her by an email he forgot to delete. Now for the question. Can my friend sue this rich lady for distroying their 30 year marriage? Isn't there some kind of court ruling in the past that says a spouse can sue the person responsible for destroying her marriage? Any advice will helpful. Thank you.
It is called Alienation of Affection.. and no, you can not sue her for this in the Grand State of California.

J

jim40

since the lady lives in Arizona, can she sue her in Arizona? And the adultery took place in Arizona also.

J

Jmcelravy

Could they sue for this in Oregon if it happened there? I have a friend that had this same sort of thing happen to her??

G

Grandma B

Seems only one state still supports alienation of affection - NC

LegalBeagle

Jmcelravy said:
Could they sue for this in Oregon if it happened there? I have a friend that had this same sort of thing happen to her??
Still no..

Next?

Stupid law and close to impossible to win because of one of the main requirements.. that is, you have to prove that before this 3rd person came along, you were truly, madly, deeply in love and it was the acts of the 3rd person who destroyed that through a relentless pursuit with their main aim being to break up the marriage.

Yonick419

Ok so NC still recognizes this alienation of affection, does the adultry have to have happened in NC then. What if it happen in another state that dont recognize this and then the person moved to NC which still does recognize it. Can this spouse sue then?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Yonick419 said:
Ok so NC still recognizes this alienation of affection, does the adultry have to have happened in NC then. What if it happen in another state that dont recognize this and then the person moved to NC which still does recognize it. Can this spouse sue then?
My response:

Sure ! Absolutely ! Great idea !

Oh, brother . . .

IAAL

tigger22472

My question would be this..... What ever happened to just picking up the pieces and moving on??? When this gets brought up everyone wants to sue the other person. No-one wants to admit that they are with someone that's just flat out scum. It's just nuts to me.

ellencee

I'm from NC and one of the best fist fights I ever saw was in a lawyer's office when the 3rd party and the injured party were in meetings with their attorneys to try to settle things.
First the injured party slugged the 3rd party, who returned the hit, and then the injured party's lawyer shoved the 3rd party's lawyer, and the next thing you saw was desks being overturned and men falling into the hallway, still throwing punches.
Darnest thing I ever saw, next to the time the deacon slugged the preacher at family night and it was like a saloon brawl in a western, but that was another time, and another state.

Yonick419

To I am always Liable. I asked this question just out of curiousity because it was something I had heard my evil mother in law say once and I wondered if it was true. She lived in Pa with her husband and apparently there was a fall out and she happen to move back home to NC and she said she could sue the third party who ruined her marriage. I was just wondering how true that all was so thats why I asked such a silly question.

LegalBeagle

Yonick419 said:
To I am always Liable. I asked this question just out of curiousity because it was something I had heard my evil mother in law say once and I wondered if it was true. She lived in Pa with her husband and apparently there was a fall out and she happen to move back home to NC and she said she could sue the third party who ruined her marriage. I was just wondering how true that all was so thats why I asked such a silly question.
You evil MIL would be wrong... but don't tell her I said that!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">