• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelPurvis

I have 3 children, a son age 13, a daughter age 11 and another daughter age 8. The older two get home from school at 3:00 pm and the youngest gets home at 4:00 pm. I am off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so I am there when they get home. My wife works Monday thru Friday and gets home at 5:30 PM. Is it legal (in PA) for the oldest to watch his two siblings from 3:00 to 5:30? We have let them stay home alone together (for short periods of between an hour and two) this summer. The woman who watches them now is getting married and getting out of the daycare scene (We will miss her dearly) We have also set rules in place. The answering machine handles the phone calls, they can not answer the door. We have cell phones and the neighbor is home next door. Is this a bad idea?

G

Grandma B

The age at which a child can be entrusted to supervise themself and siblings cannot be determined chronologically. Children mature at different rates, and you, as the parent, are the best judge of whether your son is mature enough to handle this.

Be sure he understands the steps to take to remedy emergency situations that could arise. Good luck to your family.

MelPurvis

Thanks Grandma B,
I think we will keep giving them longer stints alone and see how it goes before we do anything on a long term basis. As far as I'm concerned they will probably never be mature enough, but then again I'm probably not mature enough at 45 to be a parent (LOL).
Thanks again,
Melvin ;)

G

Grandma B

MelPurvis said:
Thanks Grandma B,
I think we will keep giving them longer stints alone and see how it goes before we do anything on a long term basis. As far as I'm concerned they will probably never be mature enough, but then again I'm probably not mature enough at 45 to be a parent (LOL).
Thanks again,
Melvin ;)
Actually, Mel, you sound like a very mature parent who is trying to do what is right.

The relationship your children have with each other should have a big impact on your decision. Do they get along well and respect each other or would the younger two resent the older one being in charge, etc.

You could set the time between 3:00-5:30 on the days they're alone as "busy" time, i.e., homework, household chores or whatever.

LegalBeagle

Legally, the parents will be 100% responsible if something does happen to any of those children and it is found that they were left home alone. It does not matter if the oldest is mature and responsible. However, providing nothing happens and no one notices and then reports an incident, then CPS will not generally get involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">