• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jayrodwillie

My husband has been charged with Aggravated Assault against a police officer stemming from an incident in which the law showed up at the place where he and his best friend were one night. It's a long story so to make it short, they were there to get the friend's clothes because he and his girlfriend had trouble and were splitting. While there a vehicle pulled in the driveway, no blue lights, and as my husband and his friend attempted to exit out the back door and leave through the woods, the law opened fire on them and killed his best friend. They later found my husband sitting in the friend's jeep and he had a rifle. Since this incident, there have been several different things happen, i.e., he was threatened not to come to court, placed under a $92,000 bond for his first offense, no previous record. He has now been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and is in counseling. Our lives have been destroyed because of this and I feel like my son and I should be entitled to some compensation for our loss.

S

skeptical

I can't imagine why you think you have a cause of action against the police for anything. Taking the facts in the best light for the police, your husband and friend were caught breaking and entering into sonemone's apartment resulting in the unfortunate death of his friend while in the process of escaping (they must have been doing something wrong, becuase they didn't leave openly through the front door!); instead of turning himself in he was apprehended while armed. Exactly who are you planning on suing for what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">