• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we do anything about this? (Halfway houses)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pixy

September of 1998 my roomate, then age 18, was cited for criminal mischief and possession and consumption of alcohol by a minor, on an air force base. I think the criminal mischief thing was dropped. August of 1999 he was placed on pretrial release. November of 1999 he was sentenced to 2 years probation, a fine, and 90-180 days in a halfway house. He went to court without an attorney. The judge ordered 90 days in the halfway house, but upon arrival he discovered that all the paperwork states 180 days. Is there anything he can do to have the time in the halfway house reduced from the 90 days? He had went to the alcohol classes he was required to, and he's not in the military, and basically I think it's pointless for him to be in this place. And is there anyway to have the probation and fines reduced? I am not sure what exact information you require, if you need me to explain things better, please ask. All this happened in Utah. You can email me at [email protected] if you need to.

J

juanitag

If it's simply a clerical error your friend should talk to the docket clerk or law clerk of the judge who issued the decision and explain the discrepancy between the two judgment time periods; somewhere there should be a record of what the judge ordered and it is a simple matter to correct the record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">