• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking a "sale of business" non-compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janices7

In January 01, we sold an internet gift business for around $35K to a couple in PA (we live in VA). In the sales agreement, my partner and I agreed to a 2 year non-compete which includes not operating any internet gift business in the United States. The portion of the $35K allotted for the non-compete agreement was $3K.

Since January, I have become disabled and my only hope of working is through a home-based business. I have an opportunity to be an internet gift distributor which would be great -- except I'm stuck in in this non-compete agreement for over another year. What is the worst that could happen if I actually opened this other business? Would my liability be limited to the $3K the purchaser paid for the non-compete OR could they sue for more if they actually found out that I was running a business? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">