• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speedy trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dina

I have a friend that is in a county jail in N.C. He has seen his lawyer twice in 10 1/2 months. Once for his first apperance in court. The second was 7 months ago. He has not been offered a plee in that amount of time and can not get his court apointed lawyer to see him or return his calls. What is considered a speedy trial? Isn't this a bit much or am I wrong? Does he have any recorse or is he just stuck?

J

juanitag

Your friend can ask the court to appoint a new attorney for failure to keep in touch with him and for failure to inform him of the status of his case. The rules on speedy trial vary from state to state so I can't advise you on the specifics of your friend's case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">