• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can A College Change the Grade scale W/out Warning?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fluegalbinder

I am now a junior nursing student at the Medical College of Ohio. The College was put on acedemic probation and their answer to this was to change the grading scale by an increase of 6points for each letter grade. What this means is that a 70% in no longer a "C", a 76% is, and so on. Now the did let the seniors stay under the old system but we juniors are just as in debt in student loans as the seniors. The agreement we signed with the school of nursing is the same that the seniors signed, which agrees, and is clearly stated that 70% is a "C". This change may not seem like much but it has already cut our class number substantially, and will continue to do so unless something is done. It doesn't seem right that we should be allowed to choos this profession, sign the agreement, draw thousands of dollars in student loans, and in most of our cases cary a 3.5 GPA or better and then have the rug pulled out from under us. This same school also approved the student loans that alot of us are now responsible for, with no relief in sight. Could someone please let me know if we have a case? Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Nate

D

dorenephilpot

Check the school handbook and see if their actions contradict anything in there.

Otherwise, I'd say the change is perfectly legal.

Sounds like you'd better study hard and improve that GPA!

D

dst

Maybe this should be in another section

I am not sure I agree with the above reply. This sounds like a contract dispute. If the contract really does say "a 70% is a 'C' " then the school is bound by that contract. Since you have a signed contract, I am assuming you attend a private school and not a public one. With private schools the normal principles of contract law can come into play.

I am not a lawyer but I don't like the flippant reply of "study hard." I would talk to lawyer in your state. Schools do have responsibilites to students and as a result can not do random things simply because they feel like it.

You might also complain to the U.S. Dept. of Education. If they see serious mistakes at your school they can pull that school's ability to even offer student loans, period. Pull the ability to offer student loans means the private school normally goes out of business. Plus, you may not have to pay back any of your loans to the federal government when that is the case.

DT

A

alax

Check with your state's Board of Nursing to see how this may impact you now and in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">