• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with license suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ronni Redden

If my license was suspended for a year for a marijuana charge,(under the specified amount)and probation has been up for 2 years. I have been arrested for warrants since then and have received several speeding tickets. Last week I got into an accident in a small town. They arrested me for driving with a suspended license. They also found a marijuana pipe in the car (empty, but not clean). The suspended license has never showed up before in any city. The bailbondsman told me that if I had applied for my license (since I am now eligible and have been for 2 years) then my license would no longer show up suspended. What is the maximum penalty that I could get for driving while my license is suspended??? Should I get an attorney to try to get this charge dismissed or a lesser penalty?? They gave me a ticket for paraphanalia. I spoke with my old probation officer to make sure that everything was finished with him and he said that I was fine.

On another note the person who towed (my girl friend's) car was the former constable for the city. When her dad went to get the car, he told her dad all about what I was arrested for, that I had a suspended license due to a drug charge, (totally made it sound like this was a recent thing) and he also told her dad that they found a crack pipe in the car. Can I sue him for slander. What gives him the right to that information in the first place and how is it legal to pass out any information on my legal background regardless of truth or not??

J

juanitag

As to your first question, you need to talk to a criminal defense attorney who specializes in DUI cases; they will know the procedures involved better than anyone else. If you don't know of a criminal defense attorney, the listings at this website might help you out.

As to the second question, you can only make a case for libel or slander if the information is untrue, defamatory, and causes you harm. It sounds like your saying the information he passed on is pretty much true so you don't have much of a case. Read the section on libel/slander under personal injury for more information on this topic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">