• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kats44

My husband and I live in Washington State, we have two kids a boy and a girl. The girl is almost 15 and is a pretty good kid, does what is expected of her, goes to school and gets good grades. Our son on the other hand is out of control. Nothing we do seems to work, he won't follow rules of the house, he smokes pot, he doesn't even stay at home any more, he comes home to shower and to eat otherwise he stays at his girl friends house. He will be 17 in December. I guess what we need to know is how much we have to endure before he turns 18, what are our rights as parents do we have to put up with his behavoir? He stopped going to highschool and we were able with a great amount of difficulty able to get him to get is G.E.D. but now he won't work, we won't give him money because he spends it on drugs so when he is angry he takes things from us or his sister. We don't like the termoil that goes on in this house and it really isn't fair to his sister who does the right things. Thanks for any help you can offer. :confused:

E

erev46

You have a number of options:
1. Meet with the girlfriends parents and let them know how you feel. Make it clear that their continued interference with your wishes will result in legal action. Considering the fact that your son is not honest with you he is probably not honest with them. Therfore they may not know how you feel.
2. You may consider placement in a residential treatment facility for adolescents. You can do this without legal action because he is a minor. There are many facilities in your state just make sure you find one that will address the issue's you feel he needs.
3. If he is using illegal substances it is a matter of time before he gets caught up in the legal system. When and if this happens he will not have many choices regarding his future. Also, the court may hold you responsible for his actions because he is a minor. They may also look at your minor daughter and force a social service investigation resulting in her being removed from the home.
My advice would be to move quickly and seek professional intervention before the courts become involved.

Good luck

P

Peconic

disruptive son

I'm not sure what the laws entail for Washington State, but in NY if a minor is 16 or older they can pretty much do what they want and "You" as the parent are liable. They are too old for a pins petition, you can just throw him out or you'll have CPS there, your best bet is some kind of counseling intervention. You have more rights there. Speaking to the girlfriends parents will probably make him more angry, I don;t think thats a good idea. Because he is a minor, you can have him placed in rehab.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">