• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjones26

My husband has a daughter from a previous marriage, she is 18. She makes very poor decisions regarding money and then expects my husband to "pay" for her mistakes. She just started college in September and obtained a credit card. In 4 days spent $800, subsequently has gone beyond her limit of $1000. She was late making her payment and has been charged late fee and over limit fee. She lived with us briefly before starting college and left us with a major long distance bill. In addition once at school, she has received a telephone bill for $158. My fear is that it can only get worse.

Unfortunately she does not listen to reason and I don't want to be responsible for her debt. I don't know if she forged her father's name to get the credit card in the first place, she's very secretive. A friend advised that I put a legal notice in the news- paper stating that my husband and I are not responsible for her debt. What would you advise? If you agree with the legal notice how would I need to word it for legal correctness. We live in New York City.

Thanks -

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">