• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud perpetrated by a relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whitewing-dove

Fraud perpetrated by a relative in Texas

In 1998 my manic-depressive sister manipulated my 75-year-old father into purchasing a 67-acre Texas property ($400,000) with a horse barn on it under the pretense of starting a horse boarding facility. She arranged the entire loan and my dad got all the debt (no debt for her) and she put his and her name on the deed, all without advice of counsel. She drew up a partnership agreement between the two of them stating that she was allowed to live there for free in exchange for her expertise in the horse business, and the agreement stated that ONLY my father would be allowed to handle the finances. She proceeded to live there and generate income for herself, never gave him a dime, would not allow him access to the property, made him pay more than $4000 monthly with no contribution by her, AND forged his name to many credit card applications and made purchases, all for which he is being sued. He hired an attorney in 1999 that proceeded to negotiate with her, but he never responds and has not filed a single document or petition. He says my dad cannot evict because she is on the deed, he cannot file suit because it would cost more than the value of the property and take too long, he cannot petition to force her to sell or buy him out, and he cannot forcibly take over due to her violation of her original contract agreement. The property is due to be foreclosed on in 2 weeks and we do not have the money to help my dad. The lawyer advises that bankruptcy won't help and that we must deed the property over to her under a deed of trust and hope she defaults and it would automatically go to my dad. Fraud charges have been filed with the police, and it is too late to hire another attorney. HELP!!! Can the district attorney do anything about my con artist sister? Can my dad enforce her original contract and evict her, or can he get her off the deed because she fraudulently arranged this whole scam? My dad is losing everything and needs help. The property is now appraised at $685,000 with only a $277,000 mortgage, but she won't let him sell it. I now have my dad's power of attorney and need to know anything and everything I can do to stop her and help him.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">