• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealing Past Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mayfly

Back in the early 1970's I plead guilty to Marijuana possession in California. At that time it was a felony and I was given 3 years probation. A short while later the laws changed and I was told by my probation officer that they had changed my conviction to a misdemeaner and my probation was lifted at that point and I didn't need to report anymore.
I would like to know if there is a way I can get the record sealed without going to court. Or what the proper steps are to have my record cleared as it was the only time I have been in trouble and it has been over 25 years since then.
I would also like to know if it would be legal for me to purchase a shotgun as I like to hunt. Since the charges were reduced to a misdemeaner I'm not sure if I can or not. When I was on probation the P/O said that it was ok for me to keep the guns that I already had since I didn't own any handguns and I only had hunting weapons and he felt that I wasn't a threat to society or anything. But I need to replace a worn out shotgun now but don't know if I legally can answer no to the felony conviction question on the 4470 ATF form.

[This message has been edited by mayfly (edited December 17, 1999).]

S

SF Lawyer

My guess is that you can get a pardon or something if you have a good record and you hire a lawyer to get the old one expunged or downgraded. I can't help you on the firearms question at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">