• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yrs. old- can I excuse myself from school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trinket

I'm 18 yrs. old and in my senior year of high school. I scheduled my own doctor appointment but my mom would not excuse me from school to go to it. Instead I tried to call myself in (which failed miserably) and I have another appointment on Monday, which I also need to get excused from school. I recieved an paper from my doctor, but I'm not sure if it would be valid without a parents signature. What can I do to get my absances from school excused? Can I do anything about it if I am a legal adult?
*This is also my first time I skipped school*

Stuck in WIsconsin-
Trinket

A

alax

Are there no after school appointments available? Is this for something like pregnancy or birth control and Mom doesn't want to validate this in her mind? Is there a school nurse that could help you, maybe even talk to Mom? How about a guidance counselor?

E

erev46

It depends on the state laws but, at 18 you are an adult and have all the rights and consequences that go with it. Looks to me like you could go to the principle and explain your situation without revealing the reason for the Dr.'s appointment and be excused.
Also, unless your parents have legal gaurdianship of you, the school is obligated by law to protect your confidentiality. No one has the right to any of your records unless you authorize it.

Dealing with your parents is another issue!!!!

T

trinket

Thankyou,
That is actually what I did. I went to the dean of students and explained some things to him, but mostly that I didn't want to tell him. He excused me from class and talked to my mother, and now she's acting civilized again.

Thankyou for your replies,
trinket

U

Ukiah

You are 18, and in school, which leaves you under the control of your parents still. Unless your parents sign a form with the school giving you the right to excuse yourself when needed, you won't be able to do anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">