• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got ripped off by a dealership with new car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Junie

I am in Massachusettes and I bought a "new car". I found out after we bought it that it was a Demo. OK fine.

Here is my question: Do I have any rights to return this car if I was lied to about it. We looked at a few cars and now looking back they wanted to get rid of the one they sold us.
We were looking for a new car and we were dealing with 2 sales people. The first one was the sales manager and he and a "friend" who is a close friend of my boyfriend and the dealer was there to get us a good deal. I advised when we looked at this car that I did not want leather seats as I have a big problem in the cold I would freeze to death. The friend and the sales manager said the seats were heated. I told them I still didn't like the idea of leather seats they again re-assured me the seats were heated and it works great. I finally agreed and figured that was ok. We had to test drive a different car on the lot because this one was in the showroom. We got the car home and about a week and a half later it got cold out, I looked for the heated seats button, there wasn't one. I have been calling the 2nd salesman who sold us the car and (I have him on tape) he said he heard the first salesman tell me the seats were heated. I am paying $28,000 for a car I do not want. This is the main problem I am having with this car, I am also having other minor problems. This is not the car we test drove and assumed it would be the same. It feels different. How can I return this car for another one without trading it in. My salesman said he told the salesmanager he heard them say the seats were heated he denies it.

Is there anything I can do?

Please, Any loopholes for me?
I got the shaft, please help!!

Thank you,
June

vrzirn

I am not a lawyer BUT--. You did look at the car and the odometer was right in front of you. Demo cars do not have 0 mileage. You also had opportunity to check out if seats were heated and also to see if it said so on your sales contract. Usually, you do not "test drive" a new car. Maybe you have buyer's remorse and are trying to wiggle out of the contract.

J

Junie

Thanks for your "opinion", but I need help not what anyone thinks. I relied mainly on these people who were friends. I am not paying for a car I specified I did not want leather. 28,000 for seat cover. I don't think so. Does anyone (hopefully a lawyer) know anything about this.

I do not try to wiggle out of anything. I want to get what I thought I was paying for.

A

alax

I just don't get it, Junie. If you didn't want leather seats, what in the world possessed you to leave that car dealership with a car that had leather seats? To heck with your friends' opinions, it was/is your car!!!
I don't think you can take a car back or hold them liable for your mistake in judgement--trade the car in, sell it, or learn to love it.
You've got to get assertive with the right people in the future--just say, 'hell, no, I'm not taking this car with leather seats, heater or no heater, I'll shop somewhere else". And, it's a pretty well known fact, some salesmen will tell you what you want to hear, or whatever makes you say "Yes" when your brain is screaming "No". Get assertive at the right time with the right people and this won't happen to you again. Bad experiences are great teachers for those smart enough to learn from their mistakes--hey, it made me a genius!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">