• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended from school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anye

My son was recently suspended from school (Boca Raton, FL) for e-mail that he sent to students at their homes. It was considered threatening.
Since this happened off school grounds, should the school have been involved? Shouldn't they have directed concerned parents to call the internet provider or the police? Instead he was interrogated by an officer and asked to write a statement before I was even notified of the situation. He has been suspended for 10 days and the principal is now recommending expulsion to the school board. They are saying this caused a major disruption at the school because of the concern of the childrens' parents. Extra police officers, a TV crew, and parents pulling their children out of school was the form of the disruption. This all happened a day before they found out it was my son who sent the e-mail. I am not condoning his behavior, but shouldn't they have diffused this situation by refering concerned parents elsewhere for help? Can I keep him from being expelled from this school? He is not a violent child and is currently getting good grades.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Anye

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">