• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights with a public defender?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patti

My son was accused of bank robbery. His trial ended yesterday with a hung jury. A mistrial was declared. Now the public defender says he needs 4500.00 to represent my son during the next trial. We do not have this money and no way of getting it. We don't understand why this same attorney cannot represent him as he is so familiar with the case and we are afraid my son won't be so well represented during the next trial and the outcome will be worse. We live in Maryland and i am wondering if this is the way it has to be? Can we keep the same public defender? Why are we obliged to get another public defender if we can't pay this one 4500.00? Would appreciate any help or insights anyone can give. My son is nineteen and i am very frightened for him. Thank you.

ALawyer

Something does not sound right. Is this lawyer from the Public Defender's Office, or was the lawyer a private attorney hired at public expense to defend your son?

If the latter, my guess is that he or she is not eligible or willing to serve again at the fees the state pays private attorneys for criminal defense.

You son is still entitled to have an attorney appointed to defend him if he can bot afford one, but probably has no right to have the same attorney appointed unless you state's law says otherwise.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">