• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defermation of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LeslieWeber

recently I was caught cheating on a chemistry test. I confessed to and apologized to the principal and my teacher several times. Two weeks after the fact my teacher called several parents and mentioned my name as the person responsible for their bad grades and sent my name to every teacher in our school. How do I go about handling this. I live in Girard Kansas.

D

dorenephilpot

I'm not following the logic here.

What good character did they defame by giving this information about the cheating to the other teachers?

Not sure I follow the statement about your being responsible for other people's bad grades, so I'm not going to address that portion of your post except to say that you might have some legal violations as to privacy issues.

Because of privacy considerations, schools are not supposed to disclose personal or disciplinary information to third parties without parental consent, except under certain circumstances, so you might have a potential complaint as to violation of privacy issues, however.

L

LeslieWeber

Here is the case, I found a copy of the chemistry test days prior to the test in the copier machine at school. I was using it as a practice test and two friends saw it . I made a copy for them to practice also. Unfortunately, they proceeded to make copies for everyone. When I found out, I told the principal and the teacher involved. I apologized and the teacher said it was ok because he had plenty of time to change the test completely. Now, the teacher has gone out of his way to be cruel to me. On the day of my grandpa's death, he pulled me aside in his office and proceeded to tell me how I would never amount to anything that I had given him a bad rep. as a teacher. He continued to yell and bad mouth me in front of another student. Weeks later, he gets upset again and starts calling between 10 and 20 parents of students that are in his class. He tells them directly by my name that I am responsible for all the students from getting passing grades. He now continues to harrass me in class. Granted I found a copy of the test and studied from it, but after seeing what others had done I tried to correct the situation. Now he has emailed a list to all teachers stating that I cannot be trusted and to watch every detail I do in other classes. I have been a straight A student and cannot understand how this teacher can say everything was ok since we took a completely different test and said I did good by telling about the test copy and then turn around and harrass me like he is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">