• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MINOR wrote worthless checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SoloStyle

Hello. My son got a checking account through United Bank. His name is the only name on the account. Not knowing really how checking accounts work, went out and wrote some worthless checks, figuring he'd have pay back the bank. Now he wants to run away and stay with relatives because he's afraid that he is going to jail. The thing is: He is only 17 years old and the bank SHOULD NOT have issued him an account! He can't take back the purchased items because he gave them away as Christmas gifts. I thought that anyone under the age of 18 CANNOT enter into a legal contract. Wouldn't a check or checking account be a legal contract? We are both scared because I don't know if he can be held responsible for this and go to jail. Neither of us have the money to pay the checks. The bank should not have issued him an account. He is only seventeen, an not responsible enough yet to have such a serious thing as a checking account. Please help with your advice. We live in WV if that makes any difference. What should he do if he's not held accountable? Wait until they turn the checks into magistrate court and then go there to prove he's only 17?

Thanks,
[email protected]

ALawyer

Straighten this out fast. A local WV layer can help do it before there is a worse problem. But apart from the fault of the bank there are more serious problems and your son is a risk.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">