• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excessive bail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The 8th amendment to the US Constitution forbids excessive bail. How is 'excessive' determined?

I was arrested a while back charged with a class "D" misdemeanor in the State of Maine. There was no violence involved or threatened. No previous arrests. I'd lived in the community for the past 27 years, had family and friends locally. Owned a house, a commercial building and a business.

My bail was set at $100,000 single surety or $10,000 cash. I'll point out here too that the affidavit requesting a warrant was delivered to the court on a Tuesday, but the warrant wasn't issued until Friday.

I was arrested at 5:15pm on Friday after the banks had closed making access to $10,000 impossible till the following morning.

This all just seems like an abuse of the legal system to me.

Rant finished, thanks

charlie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">