• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unjust richment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tigger46616

If you do a wire transferre from one state to another using the same bank name...and say they add a considerable amount more due to an error, can the first state then a week later take the money out of your account without your permission? Also I know morally that the funds are to be paid back (I thought my husband had gotten a loan which had been discussed a few days prior to this so I didn't question the added funds, just paid off our bills), but by law since it was banks error, what is the account holders obligation BY LAW to this? We have been harrassed up to 10 times per day over this, work, home, doesn't matter to them. Would we have to pay this back legally? They have closed out our checking account due to this!

A

alax

I can't resist this one, and I'm sorry attorneys.
When you overdraw your account by writing checks for more than the amount of funds you have in your account, and the bank issues the funds and leaves you with a negative balance, you have to deposit the funds to cover the total, or the bank has every right to take legal action. You are responsible for managing your bank account and for asking your husband, 'hey, honey, where did all this money come from? did you get that loan?' You can't spend money you know is not yours and expect the bank to take the blame!

T

tigger46616

I do understand that alax, I am almost 30 years old have a-1 credit and never bounced a check! We are not talking a little money here, the bank made an error of 10 thousand dollars, so of course I figured it was from a loan that my husband was getting. I agree that check books should be balanced, I am one of the most financial concious minded person you would ever run into, but the bank in texas made the mistake and then called and asked about taking it out of my indiana account and I said no. I figured I would just make arrangements with the texas bank because I knew if they took it out of the indiana bank it would well exceed the funds that were there and severely overdraft my account. It took them a week to even realize their mistake, I pay my bills online so when I went and checked my balance, I just did a click of the mouse and paid off our bills.

racer72

The bank made an error but you made a much larger error. The bank has every right to get back its money. You can legally be charged with theft if the money is not returned in a timely manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">